Thursday, March 23, 2017

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I made this the way I had it in an authentic Irish Pub. Everything was cooked separately.

How did  I know it was authentic? Well, the staff cursed in Celtic. I picked up the occasional "fookin". My barmaid's name was Grainne pronounced nothing like it looks. It was something like "grawn-ya".

I haven't made corned beef and cabbage in years. How hard can it be? Hunk of meat, cabbage and potatoes. Sadly, the label on the hunk of meat recommended a three hour cooking time. THREE HOURS! What kind of show leather did I buy?



I was ready to season this myself and I saw there was this tiny seasoning packet. Okay, let's use that too. In a big pot, place the meat, water halfway up the sides, add salt, black peppercorns and bay leaves. Bay leaves are the key flavoring during a long simmer time. Set the timer for 3 hours and forget it. Simmer covered

Cut a green cabbage in half, from root to top. Remove the hard white core. Quarter one of the pieces as shown below.



Season with salt and pepper. Simmer covered with two cups of water and half a cup of apple cider vinegar. Simmer for about 45 minutes.

The potatoes. Clean some small Red Bliss potatoes and cut them in half. Boil uncovered in water with salt and turmeric for about 30 minutes or until tender.



I like my corned beef and cabbage with mustard and horseradish. The idea here was to combine the two into a sauce.

Two tablespoons Dijon mustard, one table spoon prepared horseradish and a teaspoon of water. Whisk together and drizzle over the final dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment