Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Summary



I promised not to talk about techniques and equipment. But, clearly you should have some idea of what you are doing in the kitchen. You should should be able to follow a recipe. That's why I wrote this. Follow the recipes and make them your own.

Newbies are welcome, but there are better ways to learn techniques other than this book. I can write, "Thinly slice three scallions." It's up to you to know what that means. Sometimes you will be required to chop finely or mince. You should know the difference. This book is the next step in your cooking journey where we will try different ingredients, flavor combinations, and so on.

My first marriage, I did much of the cooking. Single, I continued that trend, simply as a way to save money. In my second marriage I really stepped up my game as we entertained and my second wife worked in New York, had many rich friends. They certainly knew what good food tasted like.

I felt like I could really cook when one of our guests didn't want the dinner I had made. I switched gears and made Veal Marsala in about a much time as it is taking to write this chapter. He liked it.

The veal fillets were expensive. It was USDA Choice or Prime. I don't remember. Simply, this was the most tender veal I ever had. You could cut it with the side of your fork.

So, lesson number one is: Get the best ingredients you can afford.

Lesson number two is: Get all your ingredients together on the counter prior to cooking. This is the mis en place you may have heard of on cooking shows.

Equipment: You should have, in no particular order, the following:

  • A sharp knife and a cutting board

  • A way to keep the knife sharp

  • A stainless steel pot for soups and sauces

  • A bigger pot for chili, roasts and stews

  • A really big pot to make pasta

  • A frying pan

  • A vegetable peeler


A mini-processor or blender can come in very handy, especially if you are making soups, smoothies or chopping a lot of vegetables.

After the second marriage and single again, I began to expand my knowledge of ingredients. I would walk into a supermarket and get a bunch of tomatillos for example. Then I would figure out what to do with them. For instance, I made the green tomatillo chili shown below.



With a little confidence, I made Pad Thai:



I have a real passion for baking now.

Apple Pie:



Bagels:



These days I am trying to cook more vegetarian dishes and making classic meat and chicken dishes with less fat. This is not just a concession to old age. We all should try to eat a little lighter.

Because I don't drink anymore, I don't cook with wine anymore. I am on the lookout for a place that sells denatured wine.

Read recipes, watch cooking shows and practice. It will be worth it.

The Lonely Guy may be poor, but he eats like a King.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment