Monday, February 6, 2017

They All Can't Be Winners

Salsa is a great condiment or dip. For a cook, making salsa teaches flavors and combinations of flavors.

I had the saltiness. I had the sweet from a touch of honey. For heat I had a jalapeno. For the tang I had lime juice and the tomatoes. For the bitter accent I had fresh cilantro and some onion. For shine, a little olive oil.

I decided to get fancy and roast the vegetables. Mistake number one. Everything dried out.

The tomatoes were "tomatoes on the vine". They were the only tomatoes that looked decent. They were this weird yellowish orange on the inside. Mistake number two.

The salsa was so thick you could stand up a spoon. The color was totally off.



Appetizing, isn't it?

This time of year, grape or cherry tomatoes are probably the best bet for salsa. That or canned crushed tomatoes.

Once again, the best ingredients you can get generally make for the best finished product.

Other cookbooks will show only the wins and not the fails. Today I failed. Tomorrow I'll see if I can't get a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment