Jacques Pepin has a modified recipe that uses just two pans. Cook's Country has a recipe that roasts all the veg in the oven.
Ultimately, ratatouille is a vegetable stew. Why not treat it that way?
- 1 small very firm Chinese eggplant
- 1 small green zucchini
- 1 small yellow zucchini
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1/2 Vidalia onion
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tbsp olive oil to finish each serving (extra virgin)
- sea salt (too taste)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 24 oz tomato puree
- Cut all the vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the garlic cloves.
- Add all the ingredients to the pot. Stir.
- Simmer for 45 minutes
How easy was that?
Serve over couscous, rice or pasta or simply as a side dish.
Like any stew, it tastes better the next day! It is a great make-ahead dish.